- 3 large leeks (1 to 1 1/2 pounds), white parts only, cleaned and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large carrots (10 ounces), diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 large or 2 medium turnips (10 ounces), peeled and diced
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- A bouquet garni made with a bay leaf and a few sprigs each thyme and parsley
- Salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup crème fraîche, more to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley or tarragon, for garnish
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, combine the leeks, garlic, carrots, celery, turnips, potatoes, bouquet garni, 1 1/2 quarts water, 2 to 3 teaspoons salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes, until the vegetables are very soft.
- Pass the soup through the coarse blade of a food mill (or purée using a blender or an immersion blender).
- Return soup to the pot and whisk in 1/4 cup crème fraîche (or more, to taste). Heat through, taste and adjust seasonings (be generous with salt and pepper). To serve, garnish each bowl with a spoonful of crème fraîche and a sprinkle of parsley or tarragon.