- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- Beat butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and add powdered sugar. Turn the mixer to low, then gradually increase the speed until the powdered sugar is completely incorporated.
- Turn the mixer off and add vanilla and chocolate. Beat on medium-high speed until the frosting is airy and thoroughly mixed, about 3 minutes. Use to top cookies, cupcakes, or cakes.