- 2 medium red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and halved lengthwise
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 granny smith apples, cored, peeled, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder ( to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- Line a small roasting pan or baking sheet with foil. Place pepper halves in pan, cut side down, and place on oven shelf closest to broiler.
- Broil until pepper skins are completely black, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven, wrap peppers in foil, and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and peel off the blackened skins. Slice peppers into 1/2-inch strips and set aside.
- Combine squash, onion, apples and broth in heavy 4-qt saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Partially cover saucepan, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the pepper slices and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer soup to food processor or blender and process until smooth. Return to saucepan, add seasonings and reheat before serving.